1. The University accepts from the Trustee of the Campaign for Oxford Trust Fund the endowment made possible by an extremely generous benefaction from Mrs Mary Douglas Blaschko, in recognition of the contribution of her late husband, Dr Karl Felix Hermann Blaschko, to the advancement of science internationally and to the development of the Department of Pharmacology, to establish a fund the net income of which shall be applied in the furtherance of research in Pharmacology within the University by the support of Blaschko Visiting Research Scholarships tenable in the said department or elsewhere under the direction of the head of department.
2. The fund shall be administered by a board of management comprising:
(1) the Professor of Pharmacology;
(2) the Principal of Linacre College, or a deputy appointed by the Principal;
(3) one member of the staff of the Department of Pharmacology, or of the Medical Research Council Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, appointed by the Professor of Pharmacology to hold office for up to one year and to be eligible for reappointment;
(4) Mrs Mary Douglas Blaschko;
(5) Dr Ruth Baker;
(6) Mrs Ann Campbell.
3. The board shall from time to time award Blaschko Visiting Research Scholarships to graduate students in Pharmacology (or in a related area of study) from a university outside the United Kingdom. Preference shall be given to students from a European university.
4. The scholarships shall be tenable for up to one year, and in exceptional circumstances may be extended for not more than one further year. Each Visiting Scholar shall be required to be a member of Linacre College on taking up the award and shall receive full-time instruction in pharmacological research under the general direction of the Head of the Department of Pharmacology. In addition to the payment of the scholarship emoluments towards the Visiting Scholar’s maintenance costs, the board of management is empowered to contribute towards the Visiting Scholar’s travelling and other appropriate expenses.
5. Income not spent in any year shall be carried forward for expenditure in subsequent years.
6. Council shall have power to alter this decree from time to time, provided that the main object of the fund, as defined in clause 1 above, is always kept in view.
1. The University accepts with gratitude from Mrs Mary Douglas Blaschko the sum of £50,000 to create a fund to supplement the Blaschko Visiting Research Scholarship (‘The Blaschko Supplementary Fund’).
2. The supplementary fund shall be administered by the Board of Management for the Blaschko Visiting Research Scholarship.
3. The board shall use the income of the supplementary fund for the following purposes:
(a) for the provision of travel grants for the Blaschko Visiting Research Scholar;
(b) to support publications by the Blaschko Visiting Research Scholar;
(c) for the payment of appropriate supplementary expenses incurred in connection with the Blaschko Visiting Research Scholarship as approved by the board.
4. Income not spent from the supplementary fund in any year shall be carried forward for expenditure in subsequent years.
5. Council shall have power to alter this decree from time to time, provided that the main object of the supplementary fund, as defined in clause 1 above, is always kept in view.