1. The sums contributed by friends and colleagues in memory of Charles A. Coulson, FRS, Professor of Theoretical Chemistry 1972-4, Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics 1952-72, and Fellow of Wadham College, shall form a fund to be called the Charles Coulson Memorial Fund.
2. The fund shall be managed by the Board of the Faculty of Physical Sciences, which shall appoint to exercise its functions under this degree, subject to report in cases of difficulty, a committee consisting of:
(1) the Chairman of the Board or a deputy appointed by him;
(2) the Head or Acting Head of the Sub-department of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry;
(3) a member of the Sub-faculty of Chemistry;
(4) a member of the Sub-faculty of Physics.
The members of the Sub-faculties of Chemistry and Physics shall serve for a period to be determined by the board.
3. The income of the fund shall be used to further study and research in theoretical chemistry and related subjects, preference being given to the provision of assistance to scholars from abroad who wish to come to Oxford for short periods in connection with their work. Residual income from the fund may be applied for the purpose of making grants to members of the University seeking funds to attend conferences or visit other universities or for such other purposes consistent with the main object of the fund as the Board of the Faculty of Physical Sciences may consider appropriate.
4. Income not expended in any year shall be carried forward for expenditure in a subsequent year.
5. Council shall have power to alter this decree, provided that in any change of decree the object of the fund shall always be kept in view, namely, the furtherance of study and research in theoretical chemistry and related subjects as a memorial to Charles Coulson.