16.1. The Continuing Education Strategic Management Board shall consist of:
(1) a senior member of the University, appointed by Council, who shall be chair and who should not hold a salaried teaching or research post within the Department for Continuing Education;
(2) a member appointed by Education Committee from among its own members;
(3)–(6) the head of division of each division or one of their deputy/ associate heads;
(7) the Director of the Department for Continuing Education;
16.2. The board may co-opt up to two additional members, who shall not be members of the Department for Continuing Education. If the Chair or member appointed by Education Committee is not a senior college officer then the board shall co-opt such a member as one of these additional members.
16.3. Students shall have the right to be represented at meetings of the Continuing Education Strategic Management Board in accordance with Part 2 of Council Regulations 14 of 2002 (Regulations for Committees).
(1) For the purpose of this regulation, a student is any individual who has a current contract of study with the University in relation to an award-bearing course run by the Department for Continuing Education.
(2) The student body shall be represented at the board by one student, who may be selected by election or direct nomination.
(3) The representative shall be nominated as agreed between the student body and the board from amongst the student representatives on the academic committees of the Department for Continuing Education.
(4) The representative shall serve for one year, and shall be eligible for renomination if they remain a student.
(5) The student shall be entitled to speak at meetings but not to vote.
16.4. In discharging its responsibilities under section 14 of Statute VII the board shall, subject to plans, policies and guidelines set by Council and its committees, have the following functions and powers, together with such other functions and powers as may be assigned to it by Council:
(1) The board shall set and exercise oversight of the strategic direction of the Department for Continuing Education in collaboration with the divisions, and colleges, societies and Permanent Private Halls, including the development of a five-year strategic plan for the Department which shall be presented for approval by the Education Committee of Council;
(2) The board shall approve, monitor and review detailed three-year plans and one-year operating statements prepared by the Department for Continuing Education covering all aspects of the academic provision, physical resource, financing and operations of the department for consideration by the University;
(3) The board shall approve the preparation and submission of the annual operating budget of the Department for Continuing Education, in accordance with the University’s budgeting and financial policies, and monitor and review its operation during the financial year;
(4) the board shall oversee the development and operation of the educational courses offered by the Department for Continuing Education to ensure that the academic quality and standards of its provision is maintained, in accordance with the University’s policies and guidance for admissions, teaching and assessment;
(5) The board shall consider and advise the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee of Council on the funding requirements of continuing education across the University, with particular reference to the preparation of bids under any public funding system; and
(6) The board shall make an annual report to the Education Committee of Council on the activities of the board and of the Department for Continuing Education in the preceding academic year, measured against the board’s agreed five-year strategic plan.