Amended on 17 November 2005, 4 May 2006, 7 June 2007, 30 July 2009 (date of effect 1 October 2009), 16 February 2012, 21 June 2012, 1 August 2016 (Gazette, Vol. 146, p. 692, 7 July 2016) and 1 October 2021 (Gazette, Vol.151, p.431, 27 May 2021)
This part was deleted by Council with effect from 23 June 2017 (Gazette, Vol.147, p.550, 8 June 2017) and reinstated with effect from 15 October 2019 (Gazette, Vol.150, 17 October 2019).
3.1. There shall be a Committee for the Language Centre, consisting of:
(1) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education), or his or her nominee, who shall chair the committee;
(2), (3) one person appointed by each of the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences, and Medical Sciences Boards;
(4) a person appointed by the Humanities Board, not being a member of either the Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, the Faculty of Oriental Studies or the Faculty of Linguistics, Philology, and Phonetics;
(5) a person appointed by the Social Sciences Board, not being a member of the Department of Education;
(6) a person appointed by the Continuing Education Strategic Management Board;
(7) a person appointed by the Senior Tutors’ Committee of the Conference of Colleges;
(8) a person appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages;
(9) a person appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies;
(10) a person appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Linguistics, Philology, and Phonetics;
(11) a person appointed by the Board of the Department of Education;
(12) the Director of the Language Centre;
(13), (14) two student members appointed by the Oxford University Student Union, of whom one shall be a representative of graduate students and one a representative of undergraduate students.
3.2. The period of office for the members under regulation 3.1 (2)–(11) above shall be four years, and that for the members under regulation 3.1 (13) and (14) shall be one year.
3.3. Members appointed under regulation 3.1 (2)–(11) and 3.1 (13), (14) above shall serve no more than two consecutive full terms of office. Casual terms of office shall not count towards this limit.
3.4. Notwithstanding regulation 3.3 above, the General Purposes Committee of Council may determine that one further consecutive period is permitted in an individual case.
3.5. The committee shall have power to co-opt up to three additional members, who shall hold office for periods to be fixed by the committee.
3.6. The duties of the committee shall be:
(1) to determine the policy of the centre, and to exercise general supervision over its work;
(2) to appoint the Director and Assistant Director of the centre, and to prescribe their duties and conditions of service, subject to the approval of Council;
(3) to submit a report annually to Council.
3.7. The Director shall, subject to report to the committee:
(1) appoint the supporting staff of the centre (other than the Assistant Director) and prescribe their duties and conditions of service subject to the provisions of any statute or regulation of general application;
(2) make provision for the lighting, warming, water supply, and cleaning of the premises allocated to the centre.
3.8. No student member shall be present for the discussion of, or receive the papers or minutes relating to, reserved business as defined in regulation 7 of the Regulations for Council.