Amended on 17 November 2005, 4 May 2006, 7 June 2007, 30 July 2009 (date of effect 1 October 2009), 16 February 2012, 21 June 2012, 1 August 2016 (Gazette, Vol. 146, p. 692, 7 July 2016), 1 October 2021 (Gazette, Vol.151, p.431, 27 May 2021), 1 August 2022 (Gazette, Vol. 152, p.383, 19 May 2022) and 25 November 2022 (Gazette, Vol.153, p.104-105, 10 November 2022)
This part was deleted by Council with effect from 23 June 2017 (Gazette, Vol.147, p.550, 8 June 2017) and reinstated with effect from 15 October 2019 (Gazette, Vol.150, 17 October 2019).
3.1. There shall be a Committee for the Language Centre, consisting of:
(1) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education), or their nominee, who shall chair the committee;
(2), (3) two people appointed by the Humanities Board (one of whom being normally a member of the Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages);
(4) a person appointed by the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Board;
(5) a person appointed by the Medical Sciences Board;
(6), (7) two people appointed by the Social Sciences Board;
(8) a person appointed by the Continuing Education Strategic Management Board;
(9) a person appointed by the Conference of Colleges (being normally a member of Senior Tutors’ Committee or Graduate Committee);
(10) a person appointed by the Curators of the University Libraries;
(11), (12) two external members aligned with the centre’s constituent parts appointed by Education Committee;
(13) the Director of the Language Centre;
(14) the Director of the Centre for Teaching and Learning or their nominee; (15) a student member appointed by the Council of Oxford University Student Union.
3.2. The period of office for the members under regulation 3.1 (2)-(12) above shall be three years, and that for the members under regulation 3.1 (15) shall be one year.
3.3. Members appointed under regulation 3.1 (2)–(12) and 3.1 (15) above shall serve no more than two consecutive full terms of office. Casual terms of office shall not count towards this limit.
3.4. Notwithstanding regulation 3.3 above, the General Purposes Committee of Council may determine that one further consecutive period is permitted in an individual case.
3.5. The committee shall have power to co-opt up to three additional members, who shall hold office for periods to be fixed by the committee.
3.6 The committee shall, subject to plans, policies and guidelines set by Council and its committees, have the following functions and powers, together with such other functions and powers as may be assigned to it by Education Committee:
(1) The committee shall exercise oversight of and advise on the strategic direction of the Language Centre, including the development of a five-year strategic plan and mission statement for the centre which shall be presented for approval by the Education Committee of Council;
(2) The committee shall oversee and advise on the educational courses’ portfolio offered by the Language Centre to ensure that provision is consistent with the five-year strategic plan and the University’s expectations with regards to quality;
(3) The committee shall oversee applications for external accreditation of courses offered by the Language Centre and the compliance of the Language Centre with the requirements set out for external accreditation;
(4) The committee shall consider and advise the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee of Council through Education Committee on the funding requirements of the centre in accordance with the five-year strategic plan;
(5) The committee shall advise the University on the appointment to the post of Director of the Language Centre; and
(6) The committee shall make an annual report to the Education Committee of Council on the activities of the committee and of the Language Centre in the preceding academic year, which shall include measurement against the centre’s agreed five-year strategic plan.
3.7. No student member shall be present for the discussion of, or receive the papers or minutes relating to, reserved business as defined in regulation 7 of the Regulations for Council.