1. The George Eastman Visiting Professor shall be at the time of election, a permanent resident of the United States of America eminent in teaching or research in any branch of university study, and shall deliver a minimum of one public lecture and an academic programme agreed in advance with the accepting department or faculty of the University, and give instruction in the subject of study in respect of which he or she is appointed.
2. The professor shall hold office for a period not less than one year nor more than five years, but shall be re-eligible.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor;
(2), (3) two persons appointed by the Association of American Rhodes Scholars;
(4)–(7) four persons appointed by Council;
(8)–(9) two persons appointed by the Governing Body of Balliol College.
4. In making each election the electors shall bear in mind the desire of the donors that successive appointees shall in so far as possible represent different subjects of study.
5. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations as to residence which are applicable to this chair. In exceptional circumstances, the faculty board concerned may reduce the professor’s residence requirement and/or the number of required lectures or classes.
6. The provisions of section 11 of Statute XIV, relating to the allocation of professorships to colleges and societies, shall not apply to the George Eastman Visiting Professorship.