Founded by friends of the late Francis Gotch, MA, D.Sc., FRS, Waynflete Professor of Physiology and Fellow of Magdalen College
1. The fund shall be called the Gotch Memorial Fund and shall be managed by a board consisting of the Waynflete Professor of Physiology, the Whitley Professor of Biochemistry, and a third member appointed by the first two to hold office for such period or periods as they shall determine.
2. The income of the fund shall be applied to the establishment of a prize to be called the Gotch Memorial Prize and to the payment of all expenses concerned in the award thereof. The prize shall consist of one year’s income of the fund after the deduction of any expenses of administration. It shall be awarded annually by the board of management to such person, being a member of the University, who is a graduate student in the field of Physiology with the best D.Phil transfer of status report.
3. The board of management may in any year withhold the prize if there is no candidate of sufficient merit.
4. If, owing to any circumstance, the whole of the income of the fund in any year be not applied as directed in clause 2 above, the board of management shall determine whether the residue shall be carried forward for expenditure in subsequent years, or shall be expended in some other way consistent with the object of the fund.
5. In any change of decree the main objects of the fund, namely, the perpetuation of the memory of Professor Gotch and the encouragement of physiological studies within the University, shall be always kept in view.