1. The University accepts with gratitude donations totalling £27,000, and any further sums which may be contributed for the same purpose, to establish a fund, to be known as the Martin Lawrence Memorial Travel Scholarship Fund, as a memorial to Dr Martin Lawrence, formerly University Lecturer in General Practice and Fellow of Green College. The fund shall be used for the fostering of links, particularly within the field of primary health care, between medical students from the United Kingdom and Nordic countries (to be interpreted as covering Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden).
2. The net income of the fund shall be used for the provision of a Martin Lawrence Memorial Travel Scholarship.
3. The fund shall be administered by a board of management consisting of:
(1) the Head of the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences;
(2) the Head of the Division of Medical Sciences (or his or her nominee);
(3) the Warden of Green Templeton College (or his or her nominee);
(4) a person appointed by Medical Sciences Board in consultation with the Head of the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences for such period or periods as it shall determine.
4. The scholarship, of a value to be determined from time to time by the board of management, shall be awarded annually to the medical student who, in the opinion of the board of management, submits the most meritorious proposal for a period of study at a Nordic medical school. Alternatively or in addition, the scholarship may be awarded, if the board of management determines that there are candidates of sufficient merit, to a medical student from a Nordic medical school for a period of study within the University of Oxford Medical School. Preference shall be given to candidates who propose to undertake work in the field of primary health care.
5. The board of management may in any year withhold the scholarship if there is no candidate of sufficient merit. In such circumstances the surplus funds shall be carried forward and may at the discretion of the board be used either to offer a further scholarship or scholarships in a subsequent year or otherwise to foster links as specified in regulation 1 above.
6. Council shall have power to alter these regulations from time to time, provided that the main object of the fund, as defined in regulation 1 above, shall always be kept in view.