1. The University has accepted with deep gratitude the sum of £1,000,000 from the Trustees of the Edward Penley Abraham Research Fund for the endowment of a David Phillips Professorship of Molecular Biophysics and for the provision of supporting costs for the professorship, and a further £250,000 from the Trustees of the E.P.A. Cephalosporin Fund for the support of research and education in the Medical, Biological, and Chemical Sciences.
2. The David Phillips Professor of Molecular Biophysics shall lecture and give instruction in Molecular Biophysics.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in (2) of this clause is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any decree in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4) a person appointed by Council;
(5) a person appointed by the General Board;
(6), (7) two persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Biological Sciences;
(8), (9) two persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Physical Sciences;
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
5. Such part of the income of the endowment as is not required to meet the costs of the professorship shall be expended on supporting expenditure for the professor in such manner as the General Board shall approve.