1. In accordance with the will of the foundress, the scholarship shall be entitled ‘The Amy Mary Preston Read Scholarship’.
2. The scholarship shall be open to members of the University pursuing research in History for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Candidates must by the date on which they take up the scholarship have been admitted to and not have subsequently lost the status of Student for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, and not have exceeded the twelfth term since they began their research studies at the University.
3. The Board of Management of the Bryce Research Studentship in History shall be the board of management of the scholarship.
4. The scholar shall, subject to the provisions of cl. 5, receive such emoluments from the accumulated income of the endowment fund as the board of management shall see fit.
5. The scholarship shall be tenable for one year, either at Oxford or, with the consent of the board of management, elsewhere, and shall be awarded for proficiency in History, Ancient or Modern. Every candidate, with his or her application, shall submit a programme of work in History, either Ancient or Modern which he or she proposes, if elected, to undertake. He or she shall also
(a) state any other emoluments which he or she may already hold and whether he or she is a candidate or prospective candidate for such other emoluments;
(b) undertake, if elected to the scholarship, to inform the board if, during its tenure, he or she is awarded any other emoluments.
The election of the scholar shall be made by the board of management after consideration of the past records of the candidates and of the programmes submitted by them, but without having regard to the candidates’ financial needs.
6. The board shall have power to deprive a scholar of his or her scholarship, or of any part of the emoluments thereof, on account of idleness or misconduct, or failure to comply with any direction of the board.
7. Income undisposed of from any cause may be used in any year, at the discretion of the board of management, for the purpose of awarding an additional scholarship or of continuing an existing scholarship for longer than a year, or for the payment of expenses, including those of travel or publication, incidental to the pursuit of a definite piece of historical investigation, or otherwise for the encouragement of approved pieces of historical study and research.
8. Council shall have power to alter this decree, from time to time, provided that the object of the foundation, as expressed in the will of the foundress, is always kept in view.