1. Council shall take such steps as are reasonably practicable:
(1) to secure the existence at all times of a students' union (as defined in the Education Act 1994) which is open to all student members of the University;
(2) to secure that such students' union operates in a fair and democratic manner and is accountable for its finances; and
(3) to secure that the requirements of Section 22 of the Education Act 1994 are observed by or in relation to such students' union.
2. (1) Council shall publish a code of practice setting out the manner in which the requirements of the Education Act 1994 with regard to students' unions are to be carried into effect.
(2) The code of practice shall be brought to the attention of all student members annually together with (i) any restrictions imposed on the students' union by the law relating to charities and (ii) the freedom of speech provisions of Section 43 of the Education (No 2) Act 1986.
3. Information with regard to the right to opt out of membership of the students' union, and arrangements made to supply students' union services to student members who have exercised this right, shall be drawn to the attention of all student members annually and to the attention of persons considering whether to become students at the University.
JOINT COMMITTEES WITH STUDENT MEMBERS
4. No recommendation from a joint committee with student members, or other body for consultation with student members, established under any statute or regulation or otherwise, shall be rejected without the student members of the committee or body having been given an opportunity of discussion with the body with which it is a joint committee or consultative body.