1. The University receives with gratitude funds from the Dieter Schwarz Foundation to be held as expendable endowment on the trusts declared in this regulation. Further money or property may be paid or transferred to the University as either expendable or permanent endowment to be held on the same trusts. The assets so held will be known as the Dieter Schwarz Associate Professorship in Artificial Intelligence, Government and Policy Fund (“the First Fund”) and the Dieter Schwarz Associate Professorship in Artificial Intelligence and Work Fund (“the Second Fund”).
2. The University shall retain as permanent endowment those of the assets in the Funds which are contributed on the express understanding that they are to be treated as permanent endowment (“the Permanent Endowment”).
3. The University shall (a) apply the income of the Permanent Endowments (if any); and (b) apply the income and, in its discretion, the capital of the remainder of the Funds for the advancement of education for the benefit of the public as follows:
(1) for the First Fund, by establishing and maintaining the post of Dieter Schwarz Associate Professorship in Artificial Intelligence, Government and Policy (“the First Associate Professor”); and
(2) for the Second Fund, by establishing and maintaining the post of Dieter Schwarz Associate Professorship in Artificial Intelligence and Work (“the Second Associate Professor”).
4. (1) The first Associate Professor shall undertake research and teaching on topics relating to artificial intelligence, government and policy.
(2) The second Associate Professor shall undertake research and teaching on topics relating to technology, society, artificial intelligence and work.
5. Each Fund shall be used to pay the salary and expenses of the appropriate Associate Professor and associated overheads. If the salary, expenses and overheads of the Associate Professor are wholly or partly covered from other sources or there are further funds available, there shall be discretion to apply the income of each Fund to support the Associate Professor’s research; to make acquisitions of items to support the work of the Associate Professor; or to support the work of the Associate Professor in any other manner.
6. The Associate Professors shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of Associate Professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this post.
7. The administration of the Funds, and the application of their income, shall be the responsibility of the Social Sciences Divisional Board.
8. The University shall have power to pay out of the income of the Funds all costs of and incidental to the creation of the Funds and the management and administration of the Funds and the post.
9. The University may exercise any of its corporate powers in the management and administration of the Funds in so far as those powers are not inconsistent with these regulations.
10. These regulations shall be deemed to be Trust Regulations under the provisions of Part D of Statute XVI.
11. Subject to regulation 12, Council may amend, repeal or add to these regulations in accordance with Part D of Statute XVI, but no amendment is valid if it would cause the Fund to:
(1) cease to be exclusively charitable according to the law of England and Wales; or
(2) be outside the objects of the University.
12. Any amendment to regulation 3 is an amendment to the main objects of the Funds for the purposes of Part D of Statute XVI and must be approved both by Congregation of the University and subsequently by Her Majesty in Council.