1. The University receives with gratitude the sum of £2,000,000 from the Bern Schwartz Family Foundation to be held as permanent endowment on the trusts declared in this regulation. Further money or property may be paid or transferred to the University as either expendable or permanent endowment to be held on the same trusts. The assets so held will be known as The Bern and Ronny Schwartz Curator of Photography Fund (“the Fund”).
2. The University shall retain as permanent endowment those of the assets in the Fund which are contributed on the express understanding that they are to be treated as permanent endowment (“the Permanent Endowment”).
3. The University shall (a) apply the income of the Permanent Endowment (if any); and (b) apply the income and, in its discretion, the capital of the remainder of the Fund for the advancement of education for the benefit of the public by establishing and maintaining a post that shall be called The Bern and Ronny Schwartz Curator of Photography.
4. The Curator shall be responsible for acquiring, managing, and ensuring the preservation of photographic collections at the Bodleian Libraries, and for supporting teaching, research and public engagement using those collections.
5. The Fund shall be used to pay the salary and expenses of the Curator and associated overheads. If the salary, expenses and overheads of the Curator are wholly or partly covered from other sources or there are further funds available, there shall be discretion to apply the income of the Fund to support the Curator’s research; to make acquisitions of items for curation by the Curator; to maintain, conserve, catalogue or digitise items curated by the Curator; or to support the work of the Curator in any other manner.
8. The administration of the Fund, and the application of its income, shall be the responsibility of Bodley’s Librarian, subject to oversight by the Curators of the University Libraries.
9. The University may in its absolute discretion in the period ending 21 years from the date of this regulation, instead of applying the income of the Fund in any year, accumulate all or any part of such income by investing it, and holding it as part of the capital of the Fund. The University may apply the whole or any part of such accumulated income in any subsequent year as if it were income of the Fund arising in the then current year.
10. The University shall have power to pay out of the income of the Fund all costs of and incidental to the creation of the Fund and the management and administration of the Fund and the post.
11. The University may exercise any of its corporate powers in the management and administration of the Fund in so far as those powers are not inconsistent with these regulations.
12. These regulations shall be deemed to be Trust Regulations under the provisions of Part D of Statute XVI.
13. Subject to regulation 12, Council may amend, repeal or add to these regulations in accordance with Part D of Statute XVI, but no amendment is valid if it would cause the Fund to:
(1) cease to be exclusively charitable according to the law of England and Wales; or
(2) be outside the objects of the University.
14. Any amendment to regulation 3 is an amendment to the main objects of the Fund for the purposes of Part D of Statute XVI and must be approved both by Congregation of the University and subsequently by His Majesty in Council.