Drue Heinz Professor of American Literature

Amended by the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee of Council on 31 May 2012

1. The University accepts with gratitude the moneys offered for the establishment of a Drue Heinz Professorship of American Literature.

2. The Drue Heinz Professor of American Literature shall lecture and give instruction in American Literature.

3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:

(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the President of St John’s College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;

(2) the President of St John’s College, or, if the President is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college; 

(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of St John’s College;

(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council, one of whom shall be appointed after consultation with the benefactor during her lifetime;

(6) the Head of the Humanities Division, or his or her nominee;

(7)-(9) three persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of English Language and Literature.

4. Such part of the income of the benefaction as the Humanities Board may determine (after consultation with the benefactor during her lifetime) not to be required to meet the costs, including support costs, of the professorship shall be used to fund visits to Oxford from American writers and academics, to give lectures and seminars in the field of the professorship. This portion of the income shall be managed by a committee under the Board of the Faculty of English Language and Literature, which shall comprise the professor, the benefactor during her lifetime, and two members nominated by the board one of whom shall chair the committee.

5. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.

Link to other parts of Council Regulations 24 of 2002


Search the Legislation


Link to other Regulations


Or select the relevant Regulation from the dropdown list below