1. The University hereby accepts with deep gratitude the endowment provided by the British Heart Foundation for the establishment of a Professorship of Cardiovascular Medicine as a memorial to Field Marshal Earl Alexander of Tunis, to be known as the Field Marshal Alexander Professorship of Cardiovascular Medicine, and towards the costs of supporting expenditure in Cardiovascular Medicine.
2. The professor shall lecture and give instruction in cardiovascular medicine.
3. The professor shall be elected by a board of electors consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the Rector of Exeter College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Rector of Exeter College, or, if the Rector is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of Exeter College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of Exeter College;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) a person appointed by the General Board;
(7), (8) two persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Clinical Medicine;
(9) a person holding a clinical appointment appointed by the Oxfordshire Health Authority after consultation with the Oxford Regional Health Authority.
At least three members of the board, of whom one shall be a professor, shall hold clinical appointments.
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
5. Such part of the income of the endowment as the General Board shall determine is not required to meet the costs of the professorship shall be expended on supporting expenditure in Cardiovascular Medicine in such manner as the General Board shall direct.
6. Council shall have power, subject to the consent of the donors, to amend this decree, provided always that the maintenance of the Field Marshal Alexander Professorship of Cardiovascular Medicine remains the first charge on the income of the endowment.