1. The Goldsmiths’ Professor of English Literature shall undertake research and teaching in the history of English Literature during and since the period of Chaucer, on the works of English authors, and on the principles of literary criticism.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor;
(2) the Warden of New College, or, if the Warden of New College is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of New College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of New College;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) the Head of the Humanities Division, or their nominee;
(7)-(9) three persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of English Language and Literature.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.
4. The income derived from the capital sum provided for the establishment of a Goldsmiths’ Readership in English shall be applied towards the maintenance of the Goldsmiths’ Professorship of English Literature.