1. The Goldsmiths’ Professor of English Literature shall lecture and give instruction in the history of English Literature during and since the period of Chaucer, on the works of English authors, and on the principles of literary criticism.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the Warden of New College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Warden of New College, or, if the Warden of New College is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of New College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of New College;
(4) a person appointed by Council;
(5), (6) two persons appointed by the General Board;
(7)-(9) three persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of English Language and Literature.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
4. The income derived from the capital sum provided for the establishment of a Goldsmiths’ Readership in English shall be applied towards the maintenance of the Goldsmiths’ Professorship of English Literature.