1. The Merton Professor of English Language and Literature shall lecture and give instruction in the history of English Literature during and since the period of Chaucer, on the works of authors writing in English, on the language of literature and on the principles of literary criticism.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the Warden of Merton College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Warden of Merton College, or, if the Warden is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of Merton College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of Merton College;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) the Head of the Humanities Division or his or her nominee;
(7)-(9) three persons elected by the Board of the Faculty of English Language and Literature.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.