1. The Professor of Linguistics shall undertake research and teaching in the field of Linguistics and shall promote the study of that subject in the University.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any decree in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4)-(5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) the Head of the Humanities Division, or their nominee;
(7)–(9) three persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.