1. The Professor or Reader shall engage in advanced study and research and shall lecture and give instruction in Sociology.
2. The Professor or Reader shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified (2) of this clause is ViceChancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship or readership shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any decree on that behalf, or if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) a person appointed by the Social Sciences Board;
(7)–(9) three persons appointed by the Departmental Committee of the Department of Sociology.
3. The appointee, if a professor, shall be subject to the appropriate General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to those professorships.
4. The electoral Board shall decide, according to the qualifications and qualities of the candidate elected for appointment, whether he or she shall be a professor or a reader.