1. The University accepts with deep gratitude the endowment provided by Cancer Research UK for the establishment of a Richard Doll Professorship of Epidemiology and Medicine and for the provision of supporting expenditure for the professorship.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in paragraph (2) below is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any regulation in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in paragraph (2) above;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6)–(9) four persons appointed by the Medical Sciences Board.
(10) a person holding a clinical appointment appointed by the relevant NHS body with which the post-holder will hold an honorary contract.
3. The professor shall engage in advanced study or research in epidemiology of cancer or such other field of cancer studies as the Medical Sciences Board, after consultation with the Council of Cancer Research UK, shall determine. The professor shall give or hold such number of lectures or classes as the Medical Sciences Board shall determine.
4. Such part of the endowment as Council shall determine is not required to meet the costs of the professorship shall be applied to the provision of supporting expenditure for the professor in such manner as Council, after consultation with the Medical Sciences Board, shall direct.
5. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the regulations concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same regulations which are applicable to this chair.
6. Council shall have power, subject to the consent of the Council of Cancer Research UK, to amend this regulation, provided that the main object of the endowment, namely the establishment of a senior post in Cancer Studies and the provision of supporting expenditure, is always kept in view.