1. The University accepts with deep gratitude the sum of £1.5m from Dr Charles Simonyi for the endowment of the Charles Simonyi Professorship of the Public Understanding of Science.
2. The Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science shall
(a) notwithstanding the provisions of Sect. I, § 5. B, cl. 1 (b) of this chapter, engage in teaching related to the Public Understanding of Science and in other appropriate forms of provision as agreed between the professor, the head of the appropriate discipline-based department, and the Director of the Department for Continuing Education, such teaching and other forms of provision to occupy no fewer than twelve hours and no more than fifty hours in Oxford in any academic year;
(b) promote the public understanding of science both within and outside Oxford.
3. The professor shall be elected by a board of electors consisting of
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in (2) of this clause is Vice-Chancellor a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any decree in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4)–(6) three persons appointed by Council, one of whom shall be appointed after consultation with the benefactor and one of whom shall be appointed after consultation with the Humanities and Social Sciences Boards;
(7) a person appointed by the Medical Sciences Board;
(8) a person appointed by the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Board;
(9) a person appointed by the Continuing Education Strategic Management Board.
4. Subject to the provisions of clause 2 (a) above, the professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
5. Such part of the income from the endowment as is not required to meet the salary and associated costs of the professorship shall be applied for the provision of support funds for the professor in such ways as the Committee on Continuing Education may determine. That committee may delegate its powers under this clause to a subcommittee consisting of the Chairman of the Committee on Continuing Education, the Director of the Department for Continuing Education, the professor, and the head of any discipline-based department or departments with which the professor is also associated, or their nominees, subject to annual report to the committee.